Tis’ the season for gift giving!! Which presents a perfect opportunity for me to talk about bride and groom gifts! This topic holds a special place in my heart because one of the sweetest memories I have from my own wedding day was when I gave Nick the gift I got for him [more on that later]!
However, leading up to that ‘sweet’ moment I undoubtedly stressed for weeks about finding the absolute most perfect gift that would make him think to himself, “Ding! Ding! My wife nailed it! She’s so awesome and thoughtful and I can’t believe I got this lucky.” I’m sure you can all relate… That, of course, goes against every golden rule anyone would ever tell you about material things not shaping your relationship. But, at the crux of it, the ‘perfect’ gift is so much more than a material thing. The perfect gift is something [which doesn’t actually have to be a thing] that speaks to the both of you and represents a piece of your relationship that you both cherish. [Annnnd, I just lost a few of you… for those of you left, hold on, I don’t have it in me to stay emotional for much longer.]
So, I’ve put together a few of my favorite ideas for that ‘perfect’ gift. Some were things that I’ve thought up and others were inspired by true events [those people who have ‘nailed it’].
1. Tickets to a sporting event - How many couples do you know who seriously bond over their love for a sports team? I know people who have based the whole premise of their relationship on the common 'commitment' they have to their team. For those people, this should be a no brainer. In fact, those people should consider going big. Like playoffs, superbowls, world series, etc. Hey, you only get married once, right?
2. Get them a custom Brew - Craft beer has definitely become a thing. Something that probably is not going away (thank God). And also a hobby that many couples are bonding over. Very recently a good friend of mine was gifted her very own brew from Blue Blaze Brewing in the West End of Charlotte. That's right, her husband got them to brew and name a beer after her!! Then, to top it off, they had a party to debut it! I'm pretty sure he wracked up enough brownie points to be off the hook for any gifts the rest of their lives. [good beer + custom name + more partying = nailed it]
3. Boudoir photo book - LADIES. Tell me one husband on this planet who wouldn't want this on their wedding day [and any day after that when they wanted to reminisce]? Also, capturing the photos can be really fun for you! If you have a great photographer and some of your BFFs there to give you some moral support, you could make this into a really entertaining evening. DISCLAIMER: 'Dudeoir' [Dude Budoir] is a real thing. Fellas, if you're into that then have at it.
[Check out Heather Beard Photography - she covers off on both the fun and fabulous criteria]
4. Custom cowboy hat or engraved belt - Because what woman doesn't love a cowboy? If you don't, then I think you're missing some DNA strand or something. J.W. Brooks Custom Hats makes the most amazing hats that will have your husband [lookin' fiiiiine] thanking your for years to come. Buuuut, this could really go both ways. Some of my closest girlfriends would die over a new custom hat [shout out to my cowgirls]! The engraved belt is another great option. The belt is a staple in so many men's wardrobes, this would be the most perfectly personalized gift.
[Check out SKcustomleather on Esty for some really gorgeous custom stamped leather belts and our buddies over at J.W. Brooks Custom Hat Co. for a timeless headpiece].
5. Surprise them with the wedding vendor they really wanted, but just couldn’t fit in the budget - Unfortunately, we don't all have an unlimited budget that allows us to make each and every detail of our dream wedding into a reality. But, you could always surprise your significant other with one of those 'would have loved to have' elements as a gift! How excited would your 'person' be if they found out that they were actually getting the dream wedding video or short film they really wanted after all?!?
[Rob + Kristen do some seriously impressive short films, check them out here: http://robpluskristen.com/short-films/]
6. Bring on the bling - Because I'm attempting to get you to think outside of the box with this post, I'm not referring to your typical diamond earrings or timepiece here. I'm referring to that unique, customized piece of jewelry. To provide a real life example, I know a guy who melted his grandparents first wedding bands into a single band for his wife. That. is. special. But, if you don't have extra sentimental gold lying around, you could always go the engraved and customized jewelry route. Which makes an equally as awesome gift. Think engraved bracelet, watch, or ring with your wedding date.
7. Plan a special activity on the honeymoon, or the whole thing - Making memories is always one of my favorite gift options, so I'm especially fond of this one. In fact, my wedding present from my husband was him planning our whole honeymoon. I didn't have to spend one minute thinking about it while I was inundated with wedding details. I had absolutely no idea whether I should prepare for the beach or the mountains until the day of our wedding. This was an amazing surprise, and he definitely did not disappoint. But, if you're not comfortable handing over the reins entirely for your honeymoon you could definitely add a little surprise in there. A special dinner or activity, or even extend the vacation a few days!
8. A new hobby for you both – This takes the cake for me. I believe strongly that every couple should share at least one hobby [this is coming from a woman who married a man with 1,000 hobbies]. Figure out what you guys both enjoy. Whether it be music, food, fishing, wine, horses [my personal favorite], sports, building lego castles... WHATEVER, just invest in it! Buy new fishing poles, an antique record player with some of your favorite vinyls, cooking classes, wine tours, a saddle... investing in spending time together will pay dividends for the longevity of your relationship [gotta love advice from a marriage veteran of 4 years].
So, hopefully I've at least provided you all with a starting point that you can leverage to 'nail it' on your wedding day! Nothing would make me happier than knowing each one of your shared a similar moment that we did on our big day...
For those of you still wondering about my most perfect and wonderful and thoughtful and romantic gift for Nick... I got him his dream guitar. He loves playing and I love listening. I gave it to him during our reception and he proceeded to play a little tune that got our entire wedding party on the dance floor [so much so, the floors were bowing]. Today, when he's not serenading me, he's playing for our daughter [heart emoji]. I think I'm still nailing it [pat on the back].
- Circle M Farm, a barn wedding and events venue in the Charlotte area